[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 12:59:40 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Just one question - why gcc44? In other words, why not jump straight
> to gcc 4.7?

Getting new compiler into oi-build would be nice, but it doesn't solve the problem with migrating stuff away from Sun Studio. Once, we are sure, that everything is buildable by GCC 4.4 (which we have already packaged), I have no doubt that transitioning to newer GCC painless. Correct me if I am wrong.

> Yes, I know that Illumos has 4.4.4, but that's a custom version
> specific to building Illumos. I think SmartOS has gone to 4.7,
> and for Tribblix I went straight to 4.7.2.
As I said, I am using GCC 4.4  because it is available.

Cheers,

Adam