[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Nick Zivkovic zivkovic.nick at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 15:24:20 UTC 2013

All good points. Just want to chime in and say that for userland C
code development, gcc3 is adequate. I don't think anyone will see some
huge, practical benefit from a bleeding edge C compiler.

For C++11 development, it seems that there is no choice but use the
latest and greatest. It's a shame that major apps are written in C++
and not C (like firefox).

Although I do have a question. If gcc3 is deemed more desirable than
gcc4 because it generates code that can run on i386, and isn't
specialized, then why did the Illumos engineers switch the kernel
compiler to gcc4 from sunstudio, and not to gcc3 from sunstudio.

Thanks.