[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Luca De Pandis lucadepandis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:58:16 UTC 2013

That's not exactly true.
It appeared in 2001 on Intel CPUs, but most AMD i686 CPUs were not SSE2-
capable.

E.g., my old PC was powered by an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ ~2.00 GHz and it not
supported SSE2 instruction set.
So, SFE and SFE-encumbered repository was not usable on my machine.

Now i have an Intel Sandy Bridge...so, that problem for me no more exists.
But, as Jim Klimov said, OI could be used also on older machines (as home
server or as desktop, with fluxbox or other wm/de). So, have a not fully
functional compiler is a huge problem.*

In my experience, Illumos and OI didn't require SSE2. In fact, i used without
any problem all packages from openindiana.org repository.

* Actually, the very main problem of sfe repository is not the compiler, but
the sfe gmp library, which was compiled with native machine flags.

Best regards,
Luca De Pandis