[oi-dev] Hipster zone update: command_substitute: cannot duplicate pipe as fd 1: Bad file number

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Tue Jul 9 15:54:31 UTC 2013

Adam, Alexander, Tks for comments on this...

No, the GZ on this machine has been updated to a8, though some weeks ago now. It's worth noting that all of the many NGZs updated at that time are working beautifully; not a hiccup.

We did have similar mileage to yours at that time, though, in that many services were not starting; filesystem/local turned out to be the root of those evils... The ultimate culprit there was the mount command, segfaulting due to the need for the updated libc (Tks to JT-EC and igork for help). We were also seeing the 'unable to unmount filesystem' problems which others have reported.

Solution to above was updating GZ as well (make perfect sense; sure), and rebooting it.

Current situation is different: Attempt to update _another_ NGZ - still seeing the 'unable to unmount' errors, but pkg (-R /zone/root) image-update appears to work just fine. But the subsequent zlogin never gets to the OpenIndiana banner; it reports this:

The Illumos Project     SunOS 5.11      illumos-b49b27dc        July 2013
-bash: command_substitute: cannot duplicate pipe as fd 1: Bad file number
-bash: command_substitute: cannot duplicate pipe as fd 1: Bad file number
root@:Looking at repo, enough stuff has changed that I'm assuming the GZ needs another update to make all this hang together.
Hypothesis check, experts?

Regards to all,
Lou Picciano