[oi-dev] introducing gfortran or make gcc refactoring?

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sun Jul 28 20:00:04 UTC 2013

Hello.

Currently we have some mess with our gcc4.7 package. The main problem is
that it ships two versions of libraries:
a) runtime so files (gcc/g++) in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/amd64
b) gcc files (including libs) (in /usr/gcc/4.7/...)
Not all libraries from gcc/4.7/lib are exposed to /usr/lib.

I've prepared a patch to introduce one more runtime package - for
fortran:
https://github.com/pyhalov/oi-userland/compare/gfortran-runtime

But I don't like the idea of providing the same files twice (in /usr/lib
and in /usr/gcc/4.7).
I'd prefer to refactor our package and make it more similar to upstream
gcc packages (e.g. 4.4/4.5).

In Oracle userland gcc provides just two packages - gcc4x-runtime and
gcc4x. The first one includes
all runtime libraries (for gcc/g++/fortran/etc), ships them to
/usr/gcc/4.x/lib and creates links
in /usr/lib. And gcc package itself depends on gcc-runtime package.
It seems more natural then providing independent files in /usr/lib and
/usr/gcc/4.7.
What was a reason for such organization?

I don't know if we need to provide just one gcc-4-runtime package or a
lot of them:
gcc-4-runtime, g++-4-runtime, gfortran-4-runtime...

Of course, we can leave things as they are and just provide one more
gfortran-4-runtime package which delivers
necessary files to /usr/lib.

What do you think?