[oi-dev] Release engineering // planing

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jul 12 14:09:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-12 15:47, ken mays wrote:
> Good points. So, a major question: Is /dev good enough for /release
> promotion?
>
> Any known or reported issues to resolve beforehand?

I'd say - the kernel should be updated to have the most current
features regarding ZFS/NFS and other goodies recently integrated.

Also, for desktop-usage people to be content, a working (thus not
necessarily most recent and bleedy-flashy) combo of the browser,
multimedia plugins and standalone players to be available.

I'd also remind about expanding the set of drivers available in
the live media and distro, such as my earlier suggestion to try
integrating the Free NIC Drivers project so that the system can
work out of the box on a wider range of hardware. But maybe this,
until integrated and tested, is a goal for /dev and only a future
/release, realistically. The ones I tried are good and stable, but
those were only a handful of NICs - wider testing of the particular
integrated binaries is reasonable to request before promoting into
stable release.

//Jim