[oi-dev] Copyright for contributors - not in files, OI branded zones, binary compatibility

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 02:19:39 UTC 2013

On 07/17/13 11:15 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> Nikola M. писал 17.07.2013 21:47:
>> OI Hipster,
>> (illumos-5c069a6) , last two updates have Xchat dumps core /crashing
>> and X lock have no OI logo.
>
> About xchat - I've tried it. It didn't dump core, but at start
> complained about some symbols in tcl libraries. Perhaps, it also
> should be rebuilt.
>
> We need to do something with JDS... It will be always broken if we
> don't have a tool to automatically rebuild it.
> ---
> System Administrator of Southern Federal University Computer Center
Hi, I was just looking around changes in hipster,
And then I saw this:
"# Copyright (c) 2013 Alexander Pyhalov"

(https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/commit/ab3ce40009249e514e51b0af8d2b8fee490c631a)

Please remove this from everywhere it is, since it feels a bit stupid to
put one person credit in there/anywhere in changed files, moreover, that
is not the place for that as I know, but in changes logs.
It is whole distribution copyright file, it is not part of CDDL
and I feel like those making changes should, like, restrain themselves
from putting such things in the distribution.
Just a thought, before someone important (not me) starts complaining..
of putting your own Copyright everywhere. You use CDDL, you don't need
your copyright _anywhere_ in the distro..

Oh yes, I would also like to have some testing before even hipster gets out,
these things (like breaking firefox, etc, did not happen ih Hipster
until now).
I am interested in learning how to update things, etc, too. (JDS etc)

What would happen to the rest of the apps if changes are such that
applications stops working on a large scale? (Solaris was always proud
of backward compatibility on binary level)
It could be thinking about having OI-branded zones, that could have
applications from OI /dev 151a8 running if older executables start
failing on hipster on a larger scale. (like it seems they are failing
with the recent changes)

Nikola M.