[oi-dev] Copyright for contributors - not in files, OI branded zones, binary compatibility

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Jul 18 03:37:27 UTC 2013

Good morning.

Firstly, I'd like to know, what is the state of xscreensaver - is
problem still actual ?
What version do you have installed? What gnome theme are you using?

> Please remove this from everywhere it is, since it feels a bit stupid
> put one person credit in there/anywhere in changed files, moreover,
> that
> is not the place for that as I know, but in changes logs.
> It is whole distribution copyright file, it is not part of CDDL
> and I feel like those making changes should, like, restrain themselves
> from putting such things in the distribution.
> Just a thought, before someone important (not me) starts complaining..
> of putting your own Copyright everywhere. You use CDDL, you don't need
> your copyright _anywhere_ in the distro..

I don't understand you. I created this file and this is a bit of
indication that I made it. It is CDDL-ed, and
I personally don't care what do you do with it. If you look in code, in
many src file
you'll see some copyrights by organizations or individials. I don't see
anything wrong in it.

> Oh yes, I would also like to have some testing before even hipster gets
> out,
> these things (like breaking firefox, etc, did not happen ih Hipster
> until now).

You are doing it now (testing), and I'm grateful for you for this. I'd
prefer to have more users involved in this :)
If you interested, some automated testsuits to test some parts of distro
would help a lot.

> I am interested in learning how to update things, etc, too. (JDS etc)

I see two ways: one fast and one more correct. Fast way: create scripts
supporting jenkins job for rebuilding JDS (like Andrzej did for
illumos).
More correct: create tools for semi-automatic transformation of spec
files to oi-userland makefiles and carry on such transformation.
What can be done now - maybe just import some components from JDS to
oi-userland by hands.

> What would happen to the rest of the apps if changes are such that
> applications stops working on a large scale? (Solaris was always proud
> of backward compatibility on binary level)
> It could be thinking about having OI-branded zones, that could have
> applications from OI /dev 151a8 running if older executables start
> failing on hipster on a larger scale. (like it seems they are failing
> with the recent changes)
>
> Nikola M.

It has sense to speak of binary compatibility in the scope of one
release (and it means you have ancient gnome in Solaris 10 :)), but not
in "general case" . I don't know if Solaris has ever supported binary
compatibility guarantee in such way for non-core libs. It seems
impossible for libraries that come from outside (or you have to stuck
with ancient versions of libraries and applications).  From what I know
it is actually impossible for c++ applications if we use two different
compilers (as here with migration from Studio to GCC). So, it's a matter
of luck (and lack of C++ code) that /dev and /oi-hipster are binary
compatible in some way.

So, I see the main task now is to make rebuilding every bit of code as
easy as it can be - move applications out of swf/JDS/X11 consolidations
to oi-userland
or provide tools for their automatic rebuilding with jenkins.

---