[oi-dev] problem with firefox in hipster

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Jul 19 11:18:25 UTC 2013

On 19/07/2013 12:23, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru
> <mailto:jimklimov at cos.ru>> wrote:
>
>      On 2013-07-19 11:51, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>
>                  Maybe indeed a C++ incompatibility ?
>

>          Welcome to the world of binary incompatiblitly, now the last
>          fortress has finally been conquered.....
>

>      Which moves me to think: would this example mean that legacy
>      applications built for Solaris 10 and older, running now on
>      obsolete deployments which might be targeted for upgrade to
>      OI, would likely not run on newer hipster-based GCC-compiled
>      OS releases?
>

> That shouldn't ever happen, binary compatibility (within the
> supported constraints) is a key attribute of Solarisness.
> There are a number of things here:
>
> 1. It's at the application level, not the OS. It shouldn't matter
> at all whether the underlying Illumos is built with gcc or studio.

Binary incompatibility is *required* by the C++ Standard ©, it's
not allowed to mangle the ABI entry point names equally.
So this problem is inevitable once you have C++ libraries
without 'extern C' compiled by different compilers.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php