[oi-dev] Copyright for contributors - not in files, OI branded zones, binary compatibility

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jul 22 09:03:01 UTC 2013

Garrett D'Amore <garrett.damore at dey-sys.com> wrote:

> > CDDL should not contain changes to itself, nor additional copyright
> > notices of any kind.
>
> Its inappropriate (and in violation of the license terms) to modify the CDDL license or boilerplate on code that you are not the sole author of.  That boiler plate has *nothing* to do do with the copyright notices, except that without a copyright notice, it becomes impossible to verify *ownership* of the contribution, which is vital.

I am not sure what you understand by "boilerplate", but I believe that people
usually understand by boilerplate the copyright notice that is typically at the
beginning of a file.

It is of course apropriate to change the boilerplate, in special as Sun agreed
with the community to put "CDDL version 1.0 only" in that text and this text was
later mofified to read any CDDL version...

Now that Sun was sold to Oracle and Oracle stopped contributing to the project,
we need to be very careful and I thus strongly recommend to change the CDDL
boilerplate to again contain "CDDL version 1.0 only" in case someone edited a
file. Without doing that, Oracle could in theory create a CDDL-1.x or a CDDL-2.x
that says "everything could be used by Oracle as closed source".

Jörg