[oi-dev] Firefox and packages in general

E W whatup.dub at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 23:21:23 UTC 2013

I originally posted this on the wiki page for tasks. The suggestion was to
check with the mailing lists.

So, I'm new to OI myself and finally made the jump from using the live DVD
to an on HDD install.

How do we go about getting newer releases on specific packages?

I'm typing this in Firefox and wondering how to get a new version of that
running. Based on the Package Manager, 3.6.12 is as new as it gets?

I'm not a developer, but am willing to jump in and learn.

Is it just a matter of there not being someone to create a build and
package it?

Is it an issue with packages available upstream?

Is this something that can be contributed?

Sorry if this wasn't the best place to post this, but it seemed like it at
the time.

Thank you,

-Eric W.