[oi-dev] Emulation of NDIS wireless drivers for Windows

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jun 19 08:49:33 UTC 2013

Saso Kiselkov wrote:
> On 19/06/2013 08:33, Jean-Pierre wrote:
>> Earlier I ported Bill Paul's ndis emulator for using wireless drivers
>> designed for Windows on OpenIndiana for x86_64. This is supposed to be
>> usable with at least several Broadcom device models, though I only
>> tested on BCM 4312.
>>
>> I did not get any problem reports about the ndis.1.3.0.rc3 as released
>> by Jim Klimov two months ago. This could be because there are no more
>> bugs, but I may also think there might be other reasons...
>>
>> So, I am releasing this as ndis-1.3.0, and I will probably stop there
>> unless I get technical support to proceed further.
>>
>> Available on http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/ndis-1.3.0.tar.gz
>
> Hi Jean,
>
> Sorry I missed your earlier work, just out of curiosity, does your port
> require kernel changes, or is your implementation entirely user-space?

The emulator is a driver which executes in kernel space.

It does not imply any kernel changes, just adding a kernel module
by installing two binary files and associating to the wifi device.
One of these files is generic (a kind of shared object), the other
has to be built from a binary driver for Windows (interface NDIS5).

> If you do need a modified kernel, will you be upstreaming your work to
> Illumos? I'd like to help if I can.

What do you mean by "upstreaming to Illumos" ? My own contribution
for adapting the Windows driver is released as GPL, and the emulator
proper which I had to adapt was CDDL.