[oi-dev] illumos

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 07:18:11 UTC 2013

On 21/06/2013 07:52, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> I have yet to identify where is the value added to the kernel
> itself,

See https://www.illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/activity for just some
of the stuff within the last 1 month.

> it is still identified as SunOS 5.11 (c) 2010

That's because tons of configure and platform detection scripts depend
on this. Notice that Sun hasn't changed the signature from 'SunOS' to
'Solaris' when going forward from SunOS 2.4 some 20 years ago either.

> In particular the support of newer hardware appears to be
> deficient.

Illumos is open-source, so if you think it should support a particular
piece of hardware, feel free to pick up the DDI and write your own
driver. Unfortunately unless you pay other people's paychecks, you can't
really do much more than either politely request somebody write a driver
(and accept when people have other things to do), or do it yourself.

Cheers,
--
Saso