[oi-dev] Broadcom BCM4312 wireless on OpenIndiana 64-bit

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 11 14:08:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-03-07 16:22, Jean-Pierre wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have finally been able to activate a 64-bit WiFi driver for a Broadcom
>> BCM4312 wireless hardware on OpenIndiana (oi151a5).
>
> Hello, many of the details you've posted in the report (thanks BTW!)
> seem like vague pointers for those who know what to google for -
> perhaps by the words you've mentioned :)
>
> If there are particular blogs/articles to read and learn in order to
> repeat your recipe for the reader's (i.e. my) hardware, could you
> please post the URLs?
>
> For example, how did you locate and patch the multimedia registers,
> or change linking of the driver, etc. to solve the issues you list?

Most of my changes were done manually, from repeatedly analyzing
why the OS went to panic, but I should be able to automate the changes.

> Or are all these fixes part of your NDIS changes and will be revised,
> refined and posted as the updated source code "ready to use" with an
> original Windows driver to wrap?

As I had to link the driver at build time, I cannot release a
"ready to use" driver, this would be a violation of the Broadcom
copyright. You will have to repeat the original recipe for
building the driver from the upgraded code (and, as I am not
familiar with developing on OpenIndiana, you will have to port
some code from my own which I developed on Linux).

> Now, I hope this would also work with my BCM4313... at least, after
> reading your detected issues I get a faint idea why my wrap panicked
> the kernel when attaching ;)

According to the .inf file, the same driver should be usable
with devices identified as follows :

vendor 0x14E4  device 0x4311
vendor 0x14E4  device 0x4312
vendor 0x14E4  device 0x4315