[oi-dev] Broadcom BCM4312 wireless on OpenIndiana 64-bit

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Mar 16 03:37:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-15 13:08, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Jim Klimov wrote:
>> On 2013-03-15 09:10, Jean-Pierre wrote:
>>> For those interested, the source code of the upgraded ndis emulator
>>> is available in :
>>> http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/ndis.1.3.beta.tar.gz
>>
>> Does this wrap up all the fixes you needed to do when patching the
>> driver and its programmatic surroundings? Meaning, I can just take
>> this NDIS code and an original Broadcom driver (at least of the
>> same release as yours), combine them in the usual manner and things
>> should "just work" for 64-bit kernel?
>
> That would be my expectation... It works for me.
> The driver I use shows as
> -r--r--r-- 1 linux linux 1291264 Oct  9  2007 bcmwl564.sys
>
> However I developed on Linux, and minor problems may arise
> when building on OpenIndiana (different compiler, etc.)

Apparently, I do use the same driver, and followed your bcm4312.HTML
file in the tarball, but when running ndiscvt it fails to create the
asm file (building under oi_151a7). I spent a couple of hours trying
to track the causes...

In the original form, my tracing led me to believe that when you call
ndislink *after* padding the image, the steps in ndislink fail to find
the sections to work on (is_pe_header or something like that fails,
while it works ok on the unpadded file if I move the block calling
ndislink up by a few lines).

In this case it fails with "Bad relocation" apparently due to some
jump going out of locvars limit.

Also for some reason the makefile's per-target definition of CFLAGS
failed for both "make" and explicit "gmake", so I had to export them
in the shell explicitly. In particular, the include files could not
be found otherwise.

BTW, I saw at least ndis-1.2.6 on the net, which is about as different
from 1.2.1 as your variant. Wouldn't it make sense to try and build
your solution on top of that newer code? For example, one is attached
at this archived email: http://markmail.org/message/jijk3xflwa7jfr6o
It is the same as I got elsewhere (IIRC from a member of this list).

Thanks for the effort, and I do hope to see it working ;)
//Jim