[oi-dev] Building OpenIndiana

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon May 6 15:54:04 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-06 16:40, G B wrote:
> I there a page that lists the steps to build OpenIndiana that is
> current?  I've looked at the building Illumos wiki and a couple of
> building OI pages, but am unsure of the exact steps.  There is a page
> that says oi-build is the new way, so that must negate what is on the
> Illumos page.
> If someone can edit the build page with the necessary steps I'd
> appreciate it so I can attempt it.
> Thanks

As a contributor to "How to build illumos" page and similar manuals
(of course, being far from the "mainstream" author of such) I've asked
time and again on the list about instructions about such distro build.

At the moment it seems like some arcane knowledge open to the few
people who actually do the builds, and the process is comprised of
building several "incorporations" (which are large chunks of code
and functionality with their historically individual build methods,
such as the illumos-gate for "kernel" or JDS for all interactive
graphics), half a dozen to a whole dozen of these combined to make
a single distro.

Alas, so far I don't even know an exhaustive list of which source
code repositories (and build methods) are used to make OI, but on
the Wiki there are lists of incorporations; I guess they should cover
most of the code-base and help seek the rest of the know-how.

If you ever come across snippets of knowledge about the distro build,
I urge you to make a Wiki page with pointers to those instructions ;)

//Jim