[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu May 9 14:02:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, 9 May 2013, Peter Tribble wrote:

> And also what differentiates you from other offerings. Specifically,
> thinking about other similar projects, what would OI offer that you
> wouldn't get from OmniOS (which I regard as the closest distro)?

The main differentiators appear to be the ability to log into a
graphical multimedia desktop (similar to Linux) and the ability to
install and execute most existing Solaris binaries.

> I had a completely different vision - both directionally and technically -
> and ended up completely throwing away all the build system(s),
> and the entire packaging and install infrastructure. Having to largely
> reinvent a whole mass of functionality for Tribblix from scratch was
> orders of magnitude easier than using what was inherited from
> OpenSolaris.

The Tribblix approach is likely a good one.  Start off with a good
smaller core and then add more sophisticated features via packages.
This requires a new distribution though.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn