[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri May 10 11:54:19 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-10 02:19, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>> There is little "commercial future" in the desktop for Linux distributions as well yet almost all of them have a graphical desktop.
>
> I would be entirely *unsurprised* if distro vendors like RedHat and Oracle simply *ditched* their desktop support at some point in the future -- its clear to me at least that folks aren't running those distros on the desktop.

Well, Oracle does provide and promote SunRays, and while admittedly most
of their market targeting is about VDI and access to virtual
Windows desktops, there are many requests on the SRSS mailing list
about adding support for server-side Ubuntu as the SRSS terminal
server, because certain apps only exist for Linux and tunneling
of connections makes their graphics lag, and RHEL/OEL/Solaris
desktops are argued to be not so user-friendly (I have no opinion
on this, to me X11 is a means to display more characters on screen
than possible in a text mode).

Not that Oracle seems to care to address that demand, at least
publicly - just recently they began supporting versions 6 of RHEL
and OEL as server-side Linuxes. But there is certain demand for
non-MS/Apple desktops, and one linked to commercial interest as
well. I am not sure if OI/illumos can ride that tide, though.
Maybe with some other terminal client technologies (ThinLinc,
Wyse, etc)?..

//Jim