[oi-dev] Orange Indiana?

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Fri May 10 16:45:42 UTC 2013

For what it is worth: CSW existed before OpenIndiana.
I never understood why Sun refused to adopt something like pkgutil (or its
predecessor), but insisted on re-inventing the wheel.
Instead Sun created IPS from scratch (with a lot of inspiration from conary
and Foresight Linux, which they were even meeting before they made IPS).
Buy doing so, they also broke the Upgrade patch from all earlier Solaris
versions to Indiana aka OpenSolaris aka Solaris 11.

And for all this trouble and extra hassle they literally spent MILLIONS of
Dollars and millions of hours of man hours..

I (and a few others) had _always_ warned Sun to to go this route, but all I
got was laughter.
Let me ask: Where is Solaris now, in comparison to 2007?
How much market share has remained?

I know, for Sun this discussion comes slightly too late: RIP.
Well, they were not willing to listen. At least not when it came to things
like IPS.

But we here can still do what we feel makes most sense.

This just as a thought.

%martin