[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun May 12 16:02:18 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-12 17:51, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 05/12/13 05:19 AM, David Höppner wrote:
>> I noticed Oracle upstream moves aggressively to amd64 only;
>> installing amd64 just in bin not in bin/$(MACH64).
>
> It has been a few years since Oracle upstream dropped 32-bit i386 support,
> so that's just one of the decisions OI has to make - track upstream as is
> or fork/patch as needed to continue to support 32-bit on i386.

I believe, 32-bit should be retained. While it is of little utility
for ZFS and other huge-RAM jobs, it may be required for some netbooks,
older hardware repurposed for tests and SOHO servers, as well as for
resource-constrained testing VMs. So I'd vouch for this fork/patch
approach if this upstream is still followed.

//Jim