[oi-dev] g++ 4.7 headers issue

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 30 06:41:15 UTC 2013

Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.
> I need some advice and possibly help.
> We have an issue (https://www.illumos.org/issues/3787) related to GCC
> 4.6 change which affects building of several components in oi-userland
> gate with default gcc 4.7 compiler.
> We have a patch from Igor Kozhuhov
> https://www.illumos.org/attachments/908/3787_il.patch and suggestion
> from Rich Lowe to rework it in so way that it will be not "if not GCC"
> but "if is Studio".
> The problem is that I'm not in any way confident in C++ and even less
> familiar with Sun Studio. Will it be enough to just turn on the opposite
> logic for #ifdef _sun or some more work is needed?

Related to this is a request I have made earlier, of a guideline
for using some #ifdef macro to discrimate among OSes, irrespective
of the compiler used.

What is the recommended way to state "This code is for Solaris-
derived OSes" (as opposed to Windows, Linux, etc.) ? This is a
frequent need when developping portable applications.

And, I expected "#ifdef _sun" to mean just that, irrespective of
compiler, instead of meaning "This code is meaningful to a
Sun-derived compiler".

Can somebody point to a guideline ?

Jean-Pierre