[oi-dev] recent problems with oi-userland

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Nov 13 09:31:17 UTC 2013

Hello.

If you noticed, we had problems with oi-userland this week. Jenkins
couldn't publish packages, because some components failed to publish.

Today I've done clean rebuild to catch all failures.
There are (were?) several issues.

1) some components were broken by recent illumos DTrace changes -
memcached (patch sent upstream), mysql 5.1, mariadb 5.5 (the issue is
known - https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-4775 , but Alan's
patch didn't work for us)  - fixed;

2) the next popular bug - some components can't be published twice
(e.g., gmake publish  && touch Makefile && gmake publish ) - notably,
sunstudio12.1 and perhaps some other components  - still present;

3) several components just can't fetch sources - they are not longer
available; I think we can do what FreeBSD project does
a) modify userland so that it recognize COMPONENT_ARCHIVE_URLS option;
b) set this option to "$(COMPONENT_ARCHIVE_URL)
$(COMPONENT_ARCHIVE_URLS) $(COMPONENT_ARCHIVE_SERVER)" (and modify logic
in prep.mk) to allow component specify several COMPONENT_ARCHIVE_URLS
c) perhaps someone will be generous enough to provide ARCHIVE_SERVER :)

4) several components had individual issues - fixed.

So, it seems that
a) we need a regular clean rebuild job for userland to detect global
issues (like above dtrace change);
b) it's necessary to establish archive infrastructure (changes to build
scripts and setting up archive server);
c) it's necessary to look at studio and similar components.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,