[oi-dev] OpenIndiana /hipster build number

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Nov 21 06:10:17 UTC 2013

Hello, people.
Let's do something about package versions. It's  really awesome to have
the newest illumos-gate version. But it breaks existing installations.
In current scheme packages are always compiled against latest illumos
and we have no way to distinguish between package versions.

I see several ways to deal with this problem.
1) Building  illumos-gate only once a week/two weeks/etc, bump
ONNV_BUILDNUM (and perhaps BRANCHID at the same time) in  jenkins or in
cron job (151.1.8.1.N).

2) We can generate incremental series of ONNV_BUILDNUM automatically and
in consistent way. For example,
changing

echo export ONNV_BUILDNUM=$(ONNV_BUILDNUM)

echo export ONNV_BUILDNUM=$(ONNV_BUILDNUM).$$(git log --format=%H |wc
-l|tr -d ' '))

in components/illumos/illumos-gate/Makefile

will generate consistent (but perhaps, not human-friendly) series of
numbers.

Any other suggestions?
--
Best regards,