[oi-dev] /etc/profile.d and /etc/csh/login.d directories

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:36:18 UTC 2013

I know this sounds silly, because a standard of sorts already exists (other
platforms use something similar), but can we not have a common subdirectory
in /etc for these scripts, e.g. /etc/shell.d with the relevant
shells/scripts as subdirectories. e.g. /etc/shell.d/profile and
/etc/shell.d/login ?

it just seems slightly better organised.

just as a suggestion, which you are free to ignore, when you get a new
Apache2 server set up on an Ubuntu box, you get the "sites-available" and
"sites-enabled" directories. All available scripts/setup are in
sites-available, and if they are wanted they are soft-linked into the
sites-enabled directory ... do we want to consider doing something like
this for shell scripts?

While I'm not generally a fan of software installs adding lots of stuff to
my start up scripts (remembering back to my days of DOS and windows 3.1,
and the autoexec.bat and config.sys) your scripts look like they should
work as expected, and it does make adding and removing scripts with
installs easier.

Just out of interest, how did you envisage sorting the run order for the
scripts in the subdirectories? Are we planning on instigating the 2 digit
leading order, in a similar fashion to the rc.d scripts? if we were, then
we could check for filenames beginning with numbers, which would allow
"README" and other documentation to exist in those directories that isn't
run automatically.

Jon