[oi-dev] Studio future in OI (Re: )

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 07:39:46 UTC 2013

On 10/ 9/13 08:45 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 10/09/2013 20:28, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>> I was looking at different php packages.
>> It seems that currently php-idn upstream is dead.
>> There are several patches (for example, used in Fedora) which allow it
>> to be built with php 5.4.
>>
>> However, some icu functions were moved to intl PHP extension. To enable
>> this extension we need to recompile icu with G++.
>>
>> This is C++ library, so it will certainly have incompatible ABI.
>> However, it seems that this library does not have consumers in our
>> repositories. !!!! So, we can deliver it in /usr.
>> Any objections/ suggestions?
>

> So, one suggestion is to ship icu library to /usr/g++ (including
> icu-config in /usr/g++/bin).  I dislike it. :)
> The other idea is as we currently don't have internal icu consumers
> just to ship it into /usr.
>
> But this is a good idea only if we are ready to rip Studio support.
> Are we agree on this?

Just a sec. (I am sorry but don't understand why new topics like this
are not top-posted by posters)

Does this means that Sun Studio / Oracle studio will not be able to run
on Openindiana after this change?
So it is intentional breaking compatibiliy with Studio or including all
software compiled with Studio?

Are you willing to have distribution that does not have Firefox ported
for it?

Since I know that current Firefox and Thunderbird are compiled with Studio.
And since there are plans for Firefox in some time be compiled on
Openindiana with Studio (Oracle is making patches to Firefox to be able
to run on Opensolaris, and works for Openindiana) , we could cut the way
of compiling Firefox, Thunderbird and other software that used to
compile with Studio?

There are plans from Oracle people compiling Mozilla products to switch
to GCC for C++,
but does this changes means that we are isolating ourselfs from
Studio compiler and programs compiles with it and force everyone not to
use Studio on Openindiana?
Or it "just" will make all software compiled with Studio for Solaris,
not being able to run on Openindiana (Virtualbox, Firefox, Thunderbird
and all other commercial software and open repositories in the wild?)

I would not like to loose ability to run Studio on Openindiana or studio
compiled programs.
Maybe it became second option now but hey, it seems very strange to lost
support for such a compiler even if it is closed source.

N.M.