[oi-dev] Xnv_161 & JDS updates

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:42:59 UTC 2013

Sorry to dig up an old topic but this is kind of a continuation.

Whenever I try to do an upgrade my desktop is completely screwed after a
restart.

I turned of "Visual Effects", and tried again and it still failed.

I forgot about it for ages.

I tried to install "pcre" and got:

root at jadlaptop:~# pkg install -nv --no-refresh pkg:/library/pcre
            Packages to update:         2
     Estimated space available:  13.40 GB
Estimated space to be consumed: 314.08 MB
       Create boot environment:        No
Create backup boot environment:       Yes
          Rebuild boot archive:        No

Changed packages:
openindiana.org
  library/pcre
    8.21,5.11-0.151.1.8.1:20130620T081948Z ->
8.21,5.11-0.151.1.8.1:20130825T191147Z
  library/zlib
    1.2.3,5.11-0.151.1.8:20130305T140745Z ->
1.2.8,5.11-0.151.1.8.1:20130825T230351Z

and noticed a few bad changes on my system, including thunderbird not
working any more.

I rebooted and got exactly the same dead-desktop as before with the same
core dumping.

I've booted into the backup and now I've run a "pkg freeze pkg:/library/zlib
@1.2.3", and will do an update with that in place to see if that will
work/fail miserably.

rebooted after the upgrade and everything appears to be working (with the
exception of svc:/application/pkg/server:default which I just disabled)

Should I be looking out for anything else suspicious?

Jon