[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 10:32:26 UTC 2013

Joerg,

Just because I originated this thread...

oi_151a was based on a snapshot of the original 'snv_151' consolidation branches - excluding the 'fully closed' changesets for ON_151 (and other closed 'snv_151' binaries and IP) - predating the 'Solaris 11 Express' release.

You now have a hybrid or moreso - a spork based on specific collaborative efforts and backports.

The Illumos effort is only a 'kernel-based' code drop based on the ON_147 snapshot. What a distro provider implements for their distro is not a consideration of Illumos as a whole. A provider can maintain the original kernel source and cherrypick changesets from the Illumos project - or any other project - to enhance the kernel or distro in its entirety.

Are we still of a mindset that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? Some would say to 'pluck out' that which offends you and utilize the good parts. For others, toss out the whole thing into the abyss... and use something else...

The people/businesses that use Illumos use this model to accept changesets into their own distros. I can only grasp that you may want to do the same.

~ Ken Mays

P.S. (off topic) - Alcohol is a multipurpose poisonous drug consumed and accepted by BILLIONS of people. Therefore, some poisons are both good and bad - it just depends on the 'when and how' upon application...