[oi-dev] Numpy and Scipy

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 18:09:46 UTC 2013

Hi

On 8 Sep 2013, at 18:36, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> since the numpy python package available in hipster seems broken (segfaults), I installed the latest stable 1.7.0 compiled with gcc, without a linear algebra backend.
> So I intend to add latest numpy, scipy (and atlas for the backend) in oi-userland if it is ok.

Just fork the repository, commit things and create a pull request. I will pick it up and merge.

> How does it fit in the way python modules are packaged ? Should they be added to the python folder ?
> Should 32 bit and 64 bits be both provided or only one of them ?

At the moment, OI has only python 2.6, which sucks. Therefore, I am working on bringing new pkg, which is needed for publishing python 2.7. Once that gets published, plan is to make it the default version.

Speaking of packaging look at any python component. It should reside under python directory, There should be 2 p5m files (e.g numpy.p5m and numpy-26.p5m, numpy.p5m creating conditional dependency on a numpy-26. Just ignore -PYVER.p5m for now).

Bitness is something packager has to consider. If there is a point in delivering a 64 bit package, then do so.

> What about gdb, is it possible to upgrade to 7.x to get python extensions or are there any known showstoppers ? (I installed the latest gdb with the 'historical' patches).
I have looked at gdb yesterday and the component needs removing studio specific compile flags and make it builadble by gcc. Also test suite should pass all tests if possible to test package functionality.

> I have also a few numerical libraries pending that I converted from my SFE specs.

Great, if you mind sharing just create a pull request.

> Best regards,
>
> Aurelien

Cheers,
Adam