[oi-dev] Stats

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 16:32:11 UTC 2014

The current analogy is:
1. Solaris 10/11 - production2. OpenIndiana - development/testing (but CAN be used in 24/7 production)
Hipster snapshots, the latest versions, work reliably on specific hardware and when using specific applications.
As for the small developer support, much of what was needed is done. The major needs are usually listed in the Wiki and bug reports. Most of the FOSS apps that run on Solaris can run on OpenIndiana in a 24/7 stable condition (I have both CAD/CAM and FlightGear simulators that ran reliable for months on OpenIndiana (hipster)).But the misconception of OpenIndiana stems from people supporting the desktop model versus server model - and the external indirect development community within most third-party IHV/ISVs.
Historically, the Schillix/Milax/Tribblix/OpenSXCE/Korona (aka Martux) distros were 1-2 staffed crews. About 89% of the non-major Linux distros have no more than 2-5 'developers' at the helm.
The key misconception is understanding that now that we have a core distro - other distro makers are launchingtheir own 'spins' with their own support dev teams (but with a rebranded distro name).
So from one river, many oceans.
~ Ken

     On Friday, December 12, 2014 6:42 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

 On Sat, 13 Dec 2014, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> OI Hipster change log can be found here:
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/oi_hipster

I think that this looks impressive.  The main issue (feature-wise)
seems to be the loss of SFE binary packages, and that SFE packages are
not yet ready for GCC (mostly a build-options problem).

There has recently been some minor discussion of OI Hipster on the SFE
development list.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn