[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 10:34:35 UTC 2014

Hi Seth,

When I started OpenIndiana, I wanted to avoid the "Linux Distribution
Fragmentation" issue, so I created a community distro and tried to solicit
input from everyone and try to keep everyone happy.

I failed miserably. Nobody wants to collaborate, everyone wants to do their
own thing. Hence the huge number of distros you see before you.

Even OpenIndiana itself can't agree on things, hence /dev vs /hipster, one
spearheaded by Andrzej Szeszo, the other by Jon Tibble.

The problem with OpenSolaris was that it was a diabolical mess... a vast
array of undocumented consolidations all using disparate build systems,
cobbled together with a horrific shambles of a system called distro-import.

The OmniOS guys saw this mess and decided "fuck that" and started from
scratch. A server OS, keeping key things like the IPS package system.

Nexenta is a lost cause, their internal politics and agendas made
collaboration impossible. They are schizophrenic - they couldn't decide
between making a Debian like illumos based OS, a storage OS or a Desktop
OS, nor how to do it. Total shambles. Their attempt at collaboration on
"illumos-userland" and then subsequent reversal completely screwed OI at a
key time.

Joyent have one clear goal - Datacenter. SmartOS is great for that. They
have no interest in helping anyone else out with their distributions. They
don't want illumos to succeed as a desktop OS competitor to Linux, to the
point of being actively hostile to the entire concept. Grep the #illumos
irc log for wesolows.

TribbliX was a for fun desktop-oriented distro (correct me if I'm wrong) by
someone that hates IPS and loves SVR4 packaging. I got the impression Peter
never seemed to want to help OI out directly because of the IPS issue.

XStreamOS, DilOS, Schillix etc all have their own goals and agendas, and
again, have no interest in collaborating.

There is no community. Only self centered individuals who think their way
is best. Fragmentation was inevitable. I stated very clearly that I thought
fragmentation would kill illumos. I still feel that today - fragmentation
is killing illumos. Instead of one strong OS, we have a dozen fringe ones.

Nobody listened. Don't expect them to now.

Alasdair.