[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Feb 12 14:34:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:

> There is no community. Only self centered individuals who think their way is best. Fragmentation was inevitable. I stated very
> clearly that I thought fragmentation would kill illumos. I still feel that today - fragmentation is killing illumos. Instead of one
> strong OS, we have a dozen fringe ones.

I think that you must be biased due to your background.  I am on
almost all the mailing lists (including Illumos) and I do see plenty
of collaboration and contributions to Illumos.  In fact, there is
considerable recent activity and contributions from many parties.
Illumos contributions seem to be rather well managed and tracked.

Some fragmentation is a good thing because it proves that multiple
parties can deal with the code base and allows people to explore their
own ideas.  TribbliX is an excellent example of that.

There is a rather similar situation with Linux.  There is (mostly) one
Linux kernel and baseline environment but many different Linux
distributions which construct different application frameworks on top.
OpenIndiana is like a Linux distribution.

Regardless, I don't see this discussion has anything to do with 16
Gbit FC support (a driver/enumeration issue) and I don't see how an
opinion from someone who starts off like "I haven't kept track how
build 134 metamorphosed into build 151a9 today" can have much merit
when he then produces a long opinion on the very topic he claims he
has not paid any attention to.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn