[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Thu Feb 13 15:20:45 UTC 2014

Le 2014/02/13 16:00 +0100, Alan Coopersmith a écrit:
> Nearly all package systems have repositories, what makes IPS more
> intolerable than the rest?

I wrote a list, but then thought again, there's no point arguing that
anymore. If people using it are happy with it, good for them,

>   (Or had you just not noticed that support for package
> archives,
> basically tarball versions of IPS packages, was added to IPS in years past?
> It wasn't there in the 0.1 version used in the initial OpenSolaris
> releases,
> but that was what the kids today call "Minimum Viable Product" not the
> intended final state of features.)

That touches a nerve. Back then, it was not called 0.1. It was called
1.0, and requests for a file format were met with derision, who would
ever need that? It was certainly not part of the plan.
It took years just to make the devs admit it was needed, and then some
more to actually deliver it. I guess now it's good enough. Wonderful,
*finally* a round wheel!

Having been burnt there, I'd rather not see that history being rewritten
to make those disliking it with their good reasons look like fools.
Distrusting people who took half a decade to find that round was the
right shape makes sense.

Laurent