[oi-dev] [developer] GSoC? Decision time....

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Feb 14 19:50:11 UTC 2014

Lets all agree that we don’t want any simple efforts to just package software as part of GSoC, whether for any distribution.

Let’s also agree that if some very compelling project (forward and innovative thinking, not just making illumos try to compete with Linux on Linux’s terms) for Desktop technology comes up, we can evaluate such a project on its merits, and consider it as a candidate for GSoC slots.

Let’s also agree that opinions of folks not actively volunteering to mentor really don’t count for much here.   Its the time on the part of the mentors and admin, and Google’s money at stake.  Unless a project poses a risk to the “reputation” for illumos, it shouldn’t matter to other parties.

Thanks.

--
Garrett D'Amore
Sent with Airmail

On February 14, 2014 at 9:19:35 AM, Keith Wesolowski (keith.wesolowski at joyent.com) wrote:

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 04:20:43PM +0000, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:

> However there are plenty of people who do want to run it on the desktop, and who are you to tell them they should not do this?

I'm not telling people what to work on, since they're not employed by
me. I'm trying to make sure that the illumos community represents
itself favourably and accurately to the wider world, especially when
trying to recruit young engineers to work on our operating system.