[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 20:42:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Joerg Schilling <
Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> What do we need for collaboration?

First, you need to stop saying "must" and attempting to
dictate design and implementation decisions.

> Well....
>
> -       IPS must not be the only packaging

It isn't. There are distros using SVR4, dpkg, rpm, IPS, pkgsrc,
and/or no packaging at all.

> -       /usr/gnu must not be the default first entry in PATH

Irrelevant. How distros want to define a default user environment
is their own business.

> -       /sbin/sh may be a link to the Bourne Shell

Why is this relevant to collaboration?

This is a good example of where collaboration matters. If this is
important to you, and you want the system to behave correctly
with an alternate /sbin/sh, then log bugs against illumos,
preferably with fixes. However, as with all projects, if having
it fixed matters to you, you have to do the work.

-       scripts need to be open for being able to mount /usr using
>         the Bourne Shell.

We're off into the realms of distro-specific implementation artefacts.
This sort of statement doesn't even make sense for some distros,
and the concept it refers to isn't part of illumos at all.

> -       We need to find a way for versioned libraries to support
>         as much binary compatibility as possible.

That's how shared libraries, versions, mapfiles, and filters
work. But again, this is largely irrelevant - binary compatibility
has often been out of fashion in many open source projects, so
it's not a problem we can solve. And it's a much smaller part of
the overall compatibility question - what versions of interpreters
are present, what build options were chosen, where are applications
installed?

--
-Peter Tribble