[oi-dev] OpenIndiana /hipster build number

Andrzej Szeszo aszeszo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:55:36 UTC 2014

I propose a new scheme similar to the following:

Current version strings:

pkg://openindiana.org/SUNWcs@0.5.11,5.11-0.151.1.8.1
pkg://openindiana.org/shell/bash@4.2.45,5.11-0.151.1.8.1
pkg://openindiana.org/package/pkg@0.5.11,5.11-0.151.1.8.1

Proposed new version strings:

pkg://openindiana.org/SUNWcs@0.5.11,5.11-0.2014.0.0.14302.2476
pkg://openindiana.org/shell/bash@4.2.45,5.11-0.2014.0.0.0.2476
pkg://openindiana.org/package/pkg@0.5.11,5.11-0.2014.0.0.5055.2476

The numbers would have the following meaning:

PKGVERS_BRANCH =
0.$(IPSREPO_YEAR).$(IPSREPO_NUM).$(IPSREPO_SUBNUM).$(PKGREV_COMPONENT).$(USERLAND_ID)
PKGVERS = $(PKGVERS_COMPONENT),$(PKGVERS_BUILTON)-$(PKGVERS_BRANCH)

Currently, /hipster IPS repository is only growing, there is no way to
obsolete packages in it, updates and all operations are becoming
slower and slower. I propose importing latest installable packages
from /hispter into /hipster-2014.0 and continuing work in a new
smaller repo. If it becomes too big, we could switch over to
/hipster-2014.1, etc.

I don't think "$(PKGVERS_COMPONENT),$(PKGVERS_BUILTON)-" part of the
proposer version string needs much explanation. For illumos-gate or
pkg5 packages it will always be 0.5.11,5.11-, for other packages it
will be package-version,5.11- (4.2.45,5.11- in case of bash).

The -0.2014.0 part would say which pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-20xx.x
IPS repo package is coming from, for example:

-0.2014.0 = http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2014.0
-0.2014.1 = http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2014.1

IPSREPO_SUBNUM we could bump when there is a "flag day", or when
multiple packages have to be rebuilt for some reason and updated as
the same time.

PKGREV_COMPONENT could be used to specify revision on the component in
the oi-userland, or in case of illumos-gate or pkg5 could be set to
git commit number of illumos-gate or pkg-gate.

USERLAND_ID could be set to oi-userland git commit number that was
used at the time of building the package.

Wondering what others think about the versioning scheme.

Cheers,

Andrzej