[oi-dev] making perl 5.16 system perl

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Jun 5 03:47:59 UTC 2014

Hello.
As patches for supporting perl > perl 5.10 haven't found their way to
illumos-gate, I see two possibilities.
1) Add the patch as it is to our illumos-gate component
2) Modify patch in the following way: disable building of perl modules
from illumos-gate and use perl-516/sun-solaris from oi-userland.

I think that second approach is better for us in the following ways:
1) I've mangled our perl-516/sun-solaris  version while porting it to
oi-userland. It's 5.10, not 0.5.10, so we have to bypass it in some way
if we want to use illumos-gate-provided module (it can be solved just
one transform rule, but should be mentioned).
2) Perl modules are easier to support in oi-userland
3) It seems it could allow us to replace only one string in
usr/src/cmd/Makefile to disable building perl modules. Perhaps the whole
work can be done without patching - by using sed one-liner to remove
perl SUBDIR from usr/src/cmd/Makefile, removing
usr/src/pkg/manifests/runtime-perl-510-module-sun-solaris.mf and using
some transform rules to modify perl-510 dependencies in manifests to
perl-516 dependencies :)

What do you think?