[oi-dev] gcc 4.8 update and binary compatibility

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Mon Jun 30 08:42:06 UTC 2014

Le 2014/06/30 10:02 +0200, Alexander Pyhalov a écrit:
> Hello.
> I'm looking at adding gcc 4.8 package.
>
> I have a big question about g++-4-runtime package.
> For example, OmniOS g++-4-runtime includes
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.18
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.17
> and so on.
>

> we can see that it is linked to libstdc++.so.6. So, if we update link,
> runtime linker will load binary incompatible library.

Are there specific incompatibilities between those versions? GCC's C++
ABI has been standardized more than a decade ago, and should be
backward-compatible. While incompatibility bugs have happened, they're
not frequent.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/abi.html

FWIW, I'm maintaining MySQL on OpenCSW, and the libstdc++ library has
been happily upgraded independently from 4.8 to 4.9 without side-effect.
I'm interested to know if there are any that I might have overlooked.

Laurent