[oi-dev] Please, review vnc work

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri May 2 23:05:46 UTC 2014

Hello.

Last week I worked on rebuilding Xvnc. This is neccessary, because it
depends on perl 5.10 (vncserver script is written in perl).
I've updated it to the last version (1.1.0) from Oracle XNV
(x-s12-clone) gate.
The vnc itself is tigervnc, which consists from vnc modules and patches
to X server, which is built and delivered as Xvnc.
So, I created separate components/x11/xorg-server  component. It's not a
full component, just a helper component to patch Xorg to the state which
we have in OI XNV gate.
These sources are patched further with vnc patch
(components/x11/tigervnc/patches/tigervnc-xserver17.patch) and used to
build Xvnc.
I think in the future when we have to rebuild Xorg itself, this
component (x11/xorg-server) can be promoted to the full component.

One unfortunate issue - I couldn't make Xvnc work with any gcc
optimization turned on. Vnc server fails to add vnc display if I turn on
even just "-O". So, optimization is turned off.
Side note: working xvnc component can be compiled with Studio (just set
COMPILER to Studio) with "-x04". Don't know, why this issue arises.

I had to create gdm and libXdmcp components to debug strange issue with
XDMCP server. By default svc:/application/x11/xvnc-inetd:default
connects to local XDMCP server
(served by gdm). And this XDMCP server just doesn't work on recent
illumos if gdm is compiled with ipv6 support (and out gdm from JDS is).
It is caused by https://illumos.org/issues/4838 .
Dan McDonald has already created a working fix for this issue. I think
we'll see it in illumos-gate soon.

So, please, review
https://github.com/pyhalov/oi-userland/compare/oi;hipster