[oi-dev] Issue 5277 and dependencies on Studio C++ libraries

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Tue Nov 25 20:19:21 UTC 2014

Hello.
Please, review https://github.com/pyhalov/oi-userland/compare/5277
Bug report is here: https://www.illumos.org/issues/5277

The issue is the following - pkgdepend sees both /usr/lib/*.so and
/usr/g++/lib/*.so and generates dependencies
on require-any of them.

In the long run it worths discussing if we want to drop Studio-compiled
/usr/lib/*.so and replace them with G++-compiled
(as long as there's no internal dependencies). I think that it's safe to
do for desktop libraries.

Currently there are following */c++/* libraries (there are also other
c++ libraries, which doesn't declare such name):
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/database/postgres/library/c++/libpqxx@3.0.2-0.151.1.8:20130305T142116Z
     (Can be replaced by g++ version, no similar in S11)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/library/c++/glibmm@2.24.1-0.151.1.8:20130407T080334Z
(Can be replaced by g++ version, desktop one)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/library/c++/libxml++@2.26.1-0.151.1.8:20130407T132553Z
(not sure about consumers)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/library/c++/net6@1.3.14-0.151.1.8:20130407T131910Z
(not sure about consumers)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/library/c++/obby@0.4.7-0.151.1.8:20130407T132222Z
(not sure about consumers)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/library/c++/sigcpp@2.2.10-0.151.1.8:20130407T040345Z
(perhaps, if one should be preserved, this one is a good candidate)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/library/c++/stdcxx@4.2.1-0.151.1.8:20130305T140055Z
pkg://openindiana.org/library/desktop/c++/cairomm@1.10.0-0.151.1.8:20130407T040643Z
pkg://openindiana.org/library/desktop/c++/gtkmm@2.20.3-0.151.1.8:20130407T122246Z
pkg://openindiana.org/library/desktop/c++/mm-common@0.9.5-0.151.1.8:20130407T080015Z
pkg://openindiana.org/library/desktop/c++/pangomm@2.28.4-0.151.1.8:20130407T121812Z
(Can be replaced by g++ version, desktop one)
           FMRI:
pkg://openindiana.org/system/library/c++/sunpro@0.5.11-0.151.1.8:20130305T141538Z
(perhaps, if one should be preserved, this one is a must)

What do you think about particular oi-userland change and about this
issue in general? I mean, are we going to replace Studio-compiled
libraries with G++-compiled?
I don't have strong preferences here and OK if we just provide g++
versions of the libraries and recompile dependent software with GNU C++.