[oi-dev] C++ libraries

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Nov 27 21:28:23 UTC 2014

Hello.

We are successfully moving away from Studio. But we still provide
Studio-compiled C++ libraries. I'd like to propose the following: to
eliminate c++ / g++ distinction completely.
This significantly simplifies C++ development for newcomers, decreases
the cost of maintaining the distribution and decreases our dependency on
Sun Studio compilers.
For everyone willing to have Solaris-10 compatible system there are
Solaris 10 zones. And we can't pretend that we are compatible with
Solaris 11. Perhaps, I miss something.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I see that it can influence other's
people software badly, so I'd like to hear opinions from SFE/OpenCSW
people.

There are following Studio-compiled c++ libraries which we currently
ship:

  database/postgres/library/c++/libpqxx
       database/postgres/library/g++/libpqxx exists,
       I think it can be dropped.

  library/c++/glibmm
       library/g++/glibmm exists,
       This library is required by Studio-compiled gtkmm, gobby. I think
it can be dropped with gobby.
      ,
  library/c++/libxml++
  This one is required by gobby and can be dropped with it. I'm inclined
to add g++-compiled version.

  library/c++/net6
  It is also required only by library/c++/obby and gobby, can be dropped
with them.

  library/c++/obby - required by gobby, can be dropped with it

  library/c++/sigcpp,
     library/g++/sigcpp exists.
     This library is required by gobby, library/c++/libxml++,
library/c++/net6, library/c++/obby, library/desktop/c++/cairomm,
library/desktop/c++/gtkmm, library/desktop/c++/pangomm,
library/g++/glibmm, library/libtorrent, network/rtorrent
     I already have g++-compiled  rtorrent and libtorrent versions and
commit them as soon as build server is recovered.
  /* Yes, we are experiencing troubles with build server now */

  library/c++/stdcxx - It is required by developer/opensolaris/X.
  Do we need it? I suggest dropping it. Apache stopped working on it in
2008.

  library/desktop/c++/cairomm
      library/desktop/g++/cairomm exists
      It is required by gobby, library/desktop/c++/gtkmm,
library/desktop/c++/pangomm. Suggest drop it.

  library/desktop/c++/gtkmm
      library/desktop/g++/gtkmm exist
      It is required by gobby. Suggest dropping.

  library/desktop/c++/mm-common
      Suggest to replace it with GNU C++-compiled version.

  library/desktop/c++/pangomm
      library/desktop/c++/gtkmm exists
      Suggest drop it.

  system/library/c++/sunpro
      I think that this one should stay as it is. We'll continue to ship
the binary for forseeable time.

After everything is ready I'd like to a) rename */g++/* packages to
*/c++/* and move contents provided by oi-userland from /usr/g++/* to
/usr.

So, summary:
1) add g++ -compiled
library/c++/libxml++ , library/libtorrent, network/rtorrent,
library/desktop/c++/mm-common

2) Rename all */g++/* libraries to */c++/* and move their contents to
/usr. Add necessary rename packages. As runtime linker will
automatically look for libraries in /usr/lib
(/usr/lib/64) I think that keeping symlinks in /usr/g++/lib is not
required.

3) Drop all remaining */c++/* packages (except sunpro library).