[oi-dev] C++ libraries

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Nov 27 23:30:45 UTC 2014

Udo Grabowski (IMK) писал 28.11.2014 01:11:

Hello.

>> We are successfully moving away from Studio. But we still provide
>> Studio-compiled C++ libraries. I'd like to propose the following: to
>> eliminate c++ / g++ distinction completely.
>> This significantly simplifies C++ development for newcomers, decreases
>> the cost of maintaining the distribution and decreases our dependency
>> on
>> Sun Studio compilers.
>> For everyone willing to have Solaris-10 compatible system there are
>> Solaris 10 zones. And we can't pretend that we are compatible with
>> Solaris 11. Perhaps, I miss something.
>> Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I see that it can influence other's
>> people software badly, so I'd like to hear opinions from SFE/OpenCSW
>> people.
>>
>> 3) Drop all remaining */c++/* packages (except sunpro library).
>>

> Arghhh, this is a wrong step ! You may missed the fact
> that
>   a) people have compiled their own software with CC and
>      don't like to recompile dozens of packages (and even
>      often can't, because these are then used in other Studio
>      compiled packages!)
>
>   b) people have commercial software which they CANNOT recompile

I understand this. But I've named 12 libraries.
database/postgres/library/c++/libpqxx
library/c++/glibmm
library/c++/libxml++
library/c++/net6
library/c++/obby
library/c++/sigcpp
library/c++/stdcxx
library/desktop/c++/cairomm
library/desktop/c++/gtkmm
library/desktop/c++/mm-common
library/desktop/c++/pangomm
library/desktop/c++/gtkmm

Which should we preserve?  How do you suggest to do it in non-full-hack
way? If we deliver g++ libraries in /usr/lib, they will be seen first.
So, at least you'll have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for affected software.

I don't see any sense in preserving desktop libraries. I've looked at
firefox / flash player / openoffice. They don't need these libs.
The only libs which could be worth preserving for compatibility IMO are

library/c++/libxml++
library/c++/sigcpp
library/c++/stdcxx

What essential software does depend on mentioned libraries?

Again, if you need them, you can always copy them manually from older
distribution to /usr/CC/lib, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and try to run that
software.
---