[oi-dev] New Hipster ISOs are available

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Oct 15 22:40:27 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-13 16:37, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> I've just upgraded FreeBSD to OI Hipster :) zpool split, detach,
> reinstall, send|recv...

In a proper systematic approach that would have been "beadm create",
install, "beadm activate". At most, replace "beadm" parts by manual
fiddling with "zfs create", "zfs set" and such.

There is no technical reason to require destruction of the rpool to
install a new release of OI from scratch.

Even if automated migration (of settings, installed set of software,
etc.) is too complicated to be practical for scripting or impossible
at all, there is no good reason to forbid coexistence of several OS
releases on the same rpool.

I know that for certain - I have SXCE snv_117 systems migrated in-place
to OI, and that ages-old zpool/zfs on-disk format is still in place for
occasional reboots into the old operating systems to see "how it was"
and fetch some bits of setup missed initially.

Jim