[oi-dev] Resignation

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Sep 7 15:09:40 UTC 2014

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It appears your developer has reached the point where he must quit to get his
> point accross.

As best I can tell (based only on mailing list postings), Milan's main
concerns were the marginal support for multimedia in the OpenIndiana
desktop, and packages dissappearing from Illumos (e.g. OpenSSL) or
being significantly altered (e.g. 'man') which then necessitate
creating/rebuilding more base OpenIndiana packages, which ripple
through the package dependency chain.  The lack of a working Adobe
Flash player in Firefox on OpenIndiana is surely a major part of the
multimedia issue.

> Illumos doesn't have any stable releases and it sounds like developers are
> having issues with that.

The lack of "stable" Illumos releases really does not seem like a big
deal.  In fact, most of the stresses on the OpenIndiana project seem
like they are caused by other factors.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn