[oi-dev] Resignation

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 04:32:11 UTC 2014

On 09/ 7/14 06:23 PM, Nick Zivkovic wrote:
> The issue of governance has been talked about before, so I'll just
> summarize the decisions the Illumos community reached.
>
> Governance causes way more problems than it solves.
And yet, without governance, you end up having no product. And supported
product is what users need.
And yet, illumos does not have Any stable release yet, to form stable
distros around it. (binary compatibility, anyone?)
> happened because the founder of Gentoo, left the project and left a
> governing-board in his place. The Illumos community believes --- and
> please correct me if I'm wrong --- that those who write the code have
> the power to decide, to disagree, and so on. Those who are merely
> consumers of the code don't get much say in development decisions.
> Hence, there is no need for governance. Code rules.
This is really bit shortsighted and not accurate. Users rules.
Real consumers of the code are users and sysadmins and if you don't
listen what people need, 'coders' could end up coding what no one will
actually want to use. (Or coding something stupid that is not designed well)

It i true that coders have in reality more power to technologically
decide means of achieving goals, bu to let only to coders to decide
strategies and setting goals , without involving Sales, user feedback
and some strategic planning, would lead to situation like you described.

So 'power to the people' could also be described as:
If you have maintainers of an distro and some process around it, people
involved would have better chance to contribute more, by all means.
As opposed to opposing organized effort.
Things don't solve for themselves, but with organizing,
exactly to avoid personal shortcuts in code for small goals, without
bigger picture i mind.