[oi-dev] Resignation

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat Sep 13 08:00:32 UTC 2014

Hello.

I'd like to say that upstream illumos-gate is stable and is the least
our problem.
We've seen only 3 breakages in a year:
1) DTrace change which required additional patching for some software
(IIRC mysql, mariadb, percona and perl DTrace providers were affected)
2) One change in ipv6 handling which broke VNC server (was fixed almost
immediately after discovering)
3) Several changes which broke packaging (were fixed soon enough, in day
or two after discovering)
And one change which could break grub on OI was fixed during review
phase.

There were also some changes removing software (like ntfsprogs) which
required us to add it to oi-userland.
Additionally we had to add one (!) simple patch to illumos-gate to allow
building with Perl versions > 5.10.

So, I don't say that interaction with illumos-gate dev team is a
problem.
All the times illumos devs were extremely friendly and I think that
attempts to blame them are just FUD and provocations.

As for real problems...
If you mention SPARC - yes, it is slowly becoming second class citizen.
But as far as I know, all SPARC-related patches coming from Igor
Kozhukhov or Gary Mils were accepted.
The reason for this state is that SPARC is some kind of sacred cow for
illumos.
Noone wants to drop SPARC support (I think most reasons for this are
religious), but only several men
really do something to keep it alive.
I'm personally one of those who don't care about SPARC, so I wouldn't
say that it's the main OI problem.

The main problem is the lack of developers. The other are coming from
this one.
I'd say that a lot of outdated software or software which can't be
easily rebuilt is a problem.
I think that software coming from JDS and XNV consolidations which is
still out of oi-userland is a problem.
I think that binary blobs (e.g. /usr/bin/make or motif) which can't be
easily rebuilt is a problem.
I'd say that lack of software usual for FreeBSD or Linux user (e.g.,
postfix, smartmontools, hhvm on server side,
fresh python, perl, ruby versions for developers or audio and video
codecs, virtualbox, wine for desktop users)
is a problem.
---