[oi-dev] OpenSXCE/SPARC: It was a mistake to keep the site online.

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Mon Sep 15 13:28:53 UTC 2014

Hi Aurelien,

ok, I re-subscribed again in order to respond.
I think you need to be reminded of some facts.

"""""> Had you become the leader of the OpenIndiana SPARC port instead
of running OpenSXCE alone, maybe your work would have become the
reference SPARC distribution and got more recognition.
> More important, there would have possibly been opportunities to develop a paid support activity for it as you are the reference person in that domain or even given job opportunities.
Thinking that by providing a binary distribution, you would create a
community of users (with some of them willing to pay support) seems to
be quite optimistic."""""

Maybe you missed how the OI leadership treated me while I was in the
active process of creating a first prototype of this, the initial
SPARC OpenIndiana LiveDVD: The beloved ex-OI leader chose to drop OI,
while not warning me of that, nor ever even attempting to contact me.
So they kept me busily working on a project that was DeadOnArrival due
to their decisions.

Then lets take the grand Illumos leader: He told me, I'm insane and
should stop from working on anything related to Illumos. And while I
had proposed creating such a "Reference Distro" for them, they not
only never responded to that proposal in any reasonable manner, but
went on to ridicule me, refuse to just read what I wrote (namely that
it runs also on x86/x64, not only on SPARC).

Instead an Anti-SPARC flame war was taking place on the Illumos Devel
list. And worst: All this did not happen early on in Summer of 2012,
when I was first announcing my ideas and concrete steps to these
lists, but _after_ in spent 6 months working on it (for free), on the
day when I finally got it completed on Jnauary 30th 2013.

Then the mainline was suddenly: Nobody wants this, nobody needs this,
Illumos is developed by developers (in contrast to preserved by
nostalgic hobbyists).

I mention again: OpenSXCE does not only run on SPARC, but also on x86/x64.
I probably can write this 500 times, but the mainstream will never notice it.

All  that.
Believe me: I'm *done* with them.

Here just a single of my older Blog posts about this, with further
links into the list archives:
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html

Let me repeat this 20 times:
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html
http://opensxce.blogspot.de/2013/06/unbelievable-nobody-at-oi-nor-illumos.html

Google yourself for the archived messages, where Mr. Illumos told me,
I'm an idiot incapable of achieving anything half-way worthwhile, and
that he would never ever hire me, because I'm just too stupid.

Yes, it's in the archives.

So do me the favour: Let's stay in sync with reality.
You probably also forgot, that they threw me out of the Illumos lists
because of Madame S.'s new "no kveching rule", when I posted the true
imperial US plans to invade Syria 12 months ago, based on the Sarine
false flag.

Again:  Believe me: I'm *done* with them.
What's your next suggestion for me?
That I shall apply for a job at the heroic US-Army??

%martin bochnig