[oi-dev] SSD-based pools

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 05:18:26 UTC 2014

On 09/26/14 07:11 AM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 26/09/2014 00:46, Andrew M. Hettinger wrote:
>> I'm presently running tests on a pool using 3x Samsung 850 SSDs on a
>> LSI-9211-8i
>> (IT) contoller. I thought I'd try seperating the intent log to see if
>> lowering
>> the write amplification on the pool-drives would help, so I added
>> another
>> matching SSD for that, but under load I still seem to get extensive
>> checksum
>> errors. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this?
>>
> Transport errors could be bad cabling. 850's are very new,
> so I also wouldn't exclude firmware problems. But it could
> also be that you again see an instance of a mysterious possible
> bug when scrubbing mirrors. I myself have an SSD rpool
> (Supertalent SataII), and nearly always get these errors
> (though in the range of 10, not 150) when scrubbing this pool
> since day 1, regardless of firmware. I never get them
Huh. It would be fun to see how ZfsOnLinux behaves with same pool on SSDs.
It could be run and installed while running Xubuntu live CD par example.
Or trz to import it from FreeBSD booted disk and import and see how it
behaves.

So it could be seen if it is an illumos kernel problem
or it behaves the same on ZFS implementation on other system(s) ,
therefore more is a hardware problem itself.
I would not find living with checksum and scrub errors acceptable.