[oi-dev] libjpeg-turbo and VLC

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:44:18 UTC 2015

Hi,
we were thinking about choosing a default implementation for all the
components.
As it seems as been done one libjpeg-turbo to address some of your
concerns, that some opensource components rely on libjpeg-turbo functions
that are not part of the JPEG API and that major Linux distributions like
Debian and Fedora migrated to this implementation it would not be illogical
to do the same.
In any case we should still provide IJG's reference implementation.
Regards

Aurelien

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, bentahyr at chez.com wrote:
>
> Hi Aurélien,
>>
>> This is great news.
>> I tried myself and my results are way less optimistic than yours.
>> How did you compiled the libraries necessary for VLC ?
>> After installing all I could from repo, I'm still left to compile the
>> following :
>> a52 bluray caca chromaprint dca dvbpsi dvdcss dvdnav dvdread faad2 \
>> ffmpeg fluid gme goom gsm jpeg kate \
>> lame libmpeg2 live555 mad matroska modplug mpcdec nettle \
>> postproc shout sidplay2 taglib twolame upnp vncserver vpx x264 x265 zvbi
>>
>> I know I can live without the blueray support even if it would be nice to
>> have but DVD/x264 seem to me quite important.
>>

> It seems easiest to find a way to compile applications with both JPEG 6b
> and libjpeg turbo.  The main problem is if an application tries to load
> both libraries due to intertwined library dependencies.  Debian used
> versioned library symbols (directly supported by libjpeg under Linux and
> FreeBSD) and a slow transition to allow migrating to the JPEG v8 ABI.
>

> Bob
> --
> Bob Friesenhahn
> bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/