[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 16:40:56 UTC 2015

> Having Mercurial and/or GIT locally (possibly with  on Openindiana servers
> has strong benefits to just using Github because at the end all sources and
> final results must be distributed with the releases and it makes sense for
> easy mirroring and distribution.
> If it is put on GitHib it again has to be moved to OI servers to there is
> no much merit to keeping it on Github.

On the contrary since oi-userland, pkg and slim_source reside on Github, I
do not see the point in reinventing the wheel or incur additional
maintenance.

> Hipster actually has very little documentation and comments on changes and
> following mailing list talks on changes (if any) is painful.

I beg to disagree: Hipster has the some documentation and comments, what it
lacks is mostly formalism and visibility.
I must say that I do not like the tone of this type of (repeated) comment
because at the end of the day OpenIndiana is what people do with/for it: if
there is something missing/broken, you just fix it and if you cannot, well
no need to blame.
Contrary to GNU/Linux distributions, I do not several giant companies
pouring millions of $ of development in OI every year so I accept the fact
that it is really community supported.

I am happy with Hipster and most of the issues are due to a lack of support
of third party applications/drivers which is out of the scope of plain
distribution integration and maintenance.

Instead of talking about "two development branches" let us consider /dev
dead for good, move forward, provide an upgrade path and emphasize on the
fact that Hipster does get security fixes while /dev does not get any.

So if you want something to happen in the future, help Hipster finish the
migration of components to oi-userland and help documenting.
If you cannot run it on your machine, run it in Virtualbox for development
and testing.

Until that milestone is reached, speculation seems vain and repeated
criticism without constructive behaviour can be considered harmful.
Best regards

Aurelien
--
---