[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 18:25:21 UTC 2015

On 12/25/15 05:40 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>     Having Mercurial and/or GIT locally (possibly with  on Openindiana
>     servers has strong benefits to just using Github because at the
>     end all sources and final results must be distributed with the
>     releases and it makes sense for easy mirroring and distribution.
>     If it is put on GitHib it again has to be moved to OI servers to
>     there is no much merit to keeping it on Github.
>
> On the contrary since oi-userland, pkg and slim_source reside on
> Github, I do not see the point in reinventing the wheel or incur
> additional maintenance.

There is the need for distribution of source code together with
Openindiana releases.
And if binary distributions are to be distributed, that also goes for
source code, per licensing requirements.
That also goes for documentation per it's license so it is only logical
to use Oi's infrastructure for something usefull.
OI and illumos already has tons of documentation coming from Opensolaris
heritage, as discussed in this topic and writing everything again from
the bottom is actually what reinventing the wheel could be.

>     Hipster actually has very little documentation and comments on
>     changes and following mailing list talks on changes (if any) is
>     painful.
>

> I beg to disagree: Hipster has the some documentation and comments,
> what it lacks is mostly formalism and visibility.
> I must say that I do not like the tone of this type of (repeated)
> comment because at the end of the day OpenIndiana is what people do
> with/for it: if there is something missing/broken, you just

I don't like taking this topic out of it's path that is: "OI User
documentation"
There are several simple things to follow that I tried to outline in the
path toward making any release out of hipster and topic is the
Documentation and not "the  tone".

I have seen too many changes in hipster from alp's and others great work,
that does not even have any comment not to talk up about it. Documenting
distribution needs at least description of changes so I think tha
tpointing that out is most constructive.

> I am happy with Hipster and most of the issues are due to a lack of
> support of third party

Using hipster on laptop but far from being happy with it. If I would be
happy with it I would not talk about it, right.  I am just a bit more
happy with codecs and Firefox but

Most of people are still using /dev for servers, waiting for release.
Hipster is for being in current development and experimenting but it
needs some different organization to move to  releasing.

> Instead of talking about "two development branches" let us consider
> /dev dead for good, move forward, provide an upgrade path and
> emphasize on the fact that Hipster does get security fixes while /dev
> does not get any.
Without accepting that source code must be present on OI's local
repositories if wanting to make OI release out of hipster, we are stuck
with hipster as it is.

I expected to talk about user documentation in this thread so please
refer to the topic , we all know documentation ressurecting is hard but
at least let's stay into topic.